10.13.2014

Of Nations and Their Ambitions

Turn 1 Moves as of the End of the First Weekend.
So the 2014 South Pacific Dystopian Wars Campaign started this weekend and I couldn't be more excited! I met with Nathan and a few of the other campaigners at Imaginary Wars on Saturday so that we could pick our starting locations and play some games.

Nathan and I played an 800pt fleet engagement for his attack action. I had an extra 150pts to defend with since he was taking a neutral harbour and he managed to take it, fulfilling his fleet objectives.

We then played my attack action at 700pts at which point I managed to get my own fleet objective, though it did cost me 2 Gladius, 2 Cinquedas and 2 Scutums. So overall the game cost me a net of 280pts out of my fleet roster of which I'll be able to at least replace 125 in build points. I was REALLY trying hard to assault Nathan's St. Malo in my turn so I could prize it and harvest the build points but it didn't work out. Those French have devastating Ack Ack even when on death's door.

My First Gladius and it's Attendant Uccisore Torpedo Boats!
I was inspired though and started in on painting my Italians. I managed to get a Gladius and it's Full Spectrum Dominance. They say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery...
Uccisore finished as test models. I'm quite happy with the results. I was totally inspired by the Italians painted by George Mac over at

I decided to depart a little bit from his colour scheme in that I wanted a more parchment look on the upper decks rather than a gold look. Also, the scheme was a little quicker to finished, I imagine. By now I know my limitations and I'm prone to getting burnt out rather quickly and wanted to be sure that I was able to get my Italians done by this campaign's end. Slow and steady wins the race!

Different Angle.
I have a further squadron of Gladius and Uccisores on the way, which will round out my list nicely. I also have some allied Free Australians on hold for me at my local gaming store so I can fill out my mediums.

Finally, because I'd been hearing a lot of comments from people regarding my predilection towards super gloss varnishes, I decided to give some flat varnish a try. The colours and drybrushing certainly doesn't 'pop' like I'm used to but I'll admit, the effect was rather nice. I'm still trying to decide if I want to go over the water sections of the tokens with a paint on gloss varnish just to get that desired pop... I think I'll likely do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment